A good sleep at night is very necessary to spend a good day, and sleeping with the right pillow is one factor that affects your sleep. Pillow impacts the quality of sleep, and if you are not using the right pillow, it may keep you from sleeping properly. The best memory foam pillows provide support and comfort to head and neck while you sleep and thus improve the overall sleep quality. A memory pillow consists of dense foam that returns to its real shape when you wake up. These pillows are very durable and are made with high-quality materials to ensure that you get a peaceful and comfortable sleep.
Choosing an incorrect pillow may contribute to various problems such as headaches, arm or shoulder numbness, neck pain, sneezing, snoring, discomfort, and trouble breathing. This post will help you with choosing the right memory pillow for you so that you wake up fresh and happy to spend a good day.
How to choose the best memory foam pillow:
It is very necessary to identify the best memory pillow based on your sleeping style and habits so that you sleep properly and uninterrupted. According to the experts, comfort should be the primary consideration, but there are other factors too that should be taken into account. It is important that you pick a memory pillow of a good quality brand because the cheaper ones use low-density foam which can cause trouble in sleep. Based on the memory foam pillow reviews, we have formulated a buying guide to help you choose the right one for you. Follow these tips:
Determine your sleeping style
The way you sleep would determine the height or loft of your pillow because different sleeping styles require a different type of support. The primary function of a pillow is to keep your head in a neutral alignment, that is, it is not bending too far from your shoulders. Consider the following sleep positions:
- If you sleep on your back, then you should choose a pillow with medium thickness. It should not be too thick or thin as it would cause your head to bend upward or downward and cause neck pain.
- If you sleep on your stomach, look for a fragile and soft pillow. This is because you would be putting your face on the pillow and if it is too thick, it could cause discomfort.
- If you sleep on your side, you would need a firmer pillow to support your head and keep it in neutral alignment.
- If you sleep in more than two styles or a mixture of these, choose a pillow with medium thickness.
Consider the type of memory pillow:
Memory pillows come in different styles to provide proper support to your body. There are different types of pillows to help relieve problems and issues related to particular parts of the body such as head, neck, shoulders, and arms. Read the following types to determine which pillow suits you best:
This memory pillow resembles the style of standard and traditional bed pillows. This pillow is ideal for those who do not want their sleep quality to be affected, and prefer the shape and look of the traditional pillows. This pillow offers ventilation so that you remain cool and fresh while you sleep. This pillow will suit you if you have allergies as most of the best memory foam pillows do not attract insects and dust mites.
A contour pillow has a dip in the middle which is provided to give support to the head and neck. This pillow provides incredible support especially when you are sleeping on your back. The dip or groove is present exactly at the spot where the head is placed. The ridges provide excellent support to the neck as they mimic the natural curves of the body. If you often face headaches or neck pains, this pillow is one of the best memory foam pillows for you.
The wedge pillow is shaped like a wedge, designed to elevate your upper body, and helps with issues such as heartburn, acid reflux, and snoring. The lower part of the wedge is placed under the body while the upper part supports the head. People with medical issues can choose this pillow to sleep peacefully.
This memory pillow is ideal for people who sleep on their stomach. The V-shape improves neck support and offers a comfortable sleeping position. The head and neck comfortably fit in the V-shape and the user is provided with maximum support.
Neck roll pillow:
The neck roll pillows look just like a big roll and are an ideal option for people who suffer from neck, shoulders, or back pain. This pillow can also be used while traveling because it is very portable and has a compact design.
Choose between low density and high-density memory foams:
Some memory foam pillows are made up of low-density foam while others are made up of high-density foam. The low-density memory foam pillows are softer than their counterparts, but they offer lesser support than them. For each of the type discussed above, you can either choose low or high-density foam for your pillow. If you do not like thick pillows and do not need much support, you can consider buying low-density foam. However, if you want a durable and supportive pillow, you should go for the high density one.
Consider your budget:
The next thing to consider is that how much you are ready to spend on a memory pillow. Everyone loves a bargain, but that does not mean you should go for a cheaper pillow and compromise on your sleep quality. The best and highest quality memory foam pillows do not cost more than $150, and there are many different cheaper models too. You can also buy the most affordable memory foam pillow just for $11. However, if you want a good night's sleep and do not want the pillow to disturb you while sleeping, you should try and invest in a memory pillow of a good and well-known brand.
Best memory foam pillows:
Now that you have decided which type of memory pillow you want, you can consider the best brands available on Amazon. Memory foam pillows are on the market for years and are popular because of their superior support and comfort. We will be reviewing three best memory foam pillows according to their price range so that it gets easier to choose one according to your budget.
Iso-Cool Memory Foam Pillow, Gusseted Side Sleeper ($38.58):
The Iso-Cool Memory Foam Pillow is a good and affordable choice for side sleepers. It is thick and supportive and protects the neck and spine from being damaged due to incorrect postures of sleeping. It is very comfortable and durable and is perfect for a good quality sleep.
- The cover is of high quality and is made up of 100% cotton fabric. It is completely machine washable, and the cotton is a 300-thread count zipped one. The case also features shape maintenance that mimics the shape of the natural body.
- It provides good support for the neck, back, and stomach. The soft padding makes it easier and more comfortable for the body to sleep on it.
- The microbead material is very durable, and it keeps the pillow ventilated by releasing heat. This feature is introduced because it is very necessary to keep the body at the right temperature for a good sleep. The pillow does not absorb heat when it is very hot and does not get too cold during winters.
- It contains viscoelastic plush memory foam core.
- The extra thick sides are gusseted for shape maintenance and comfort during sleep. The sides are kept apart from each other as they have corded gussets stitched.
The cover is machine washable. The full sides keep the pillow from being pressed. The Phase Change Mate bead temperature control keeps the body at the right temperature. It provides amazing support for neck and spine.
It has a strong odor when opened. It feels heavy and hard right out of the package.
Coop Home Goods - Shredded Memory Foam Pillow ($69.9)
This pillow is one of the best memory foams on the market. It is not very expensive and comes under the category of medium cost pillows. So, this pillow is also an affordable one and is made from excellent quality materials.
- The pillow is filled with shredded viscoelastic memory foam. You can easily adjust the filling according to your loft. If you want to make it softer, you can remove some filling. You can also remove some filling if you feel the pillow is too high.
- The design of this memory pillow improves the airflow and keeps the pillow at the right temperature. This way the head does not heat up and the user sleeps peacefully throughout the night.
- The cover is a removable viscose rayon that is machine washable and has a triangle pattern embossed on it. The inner case surrounds the memory foam filling and is made up of interlock fabric. The inner fabric is thinner than the outer one, and it provides a tight cover to the filling.
- The pillow is soft and supportive and conforms to the neck and head posture while sleeping. The good thing is that the user does not feel the individual pieces of memory foam; instead, a single smooth piece of foam is felt.
- It is resistant to dust mites and allergens, and the contents used to make it resistant are CertiPUR-US certified.
The zippered case offers a customizable support. It is very breathable. It is hypoallergenic. It is not too expensive. It is very durable. It offers decent head and neck alignment.
It is not suitable for stomach sleepers. Its memory foam order may cause discomfort.
The NeckPillow by Tempur-Pedic Standard Medium Profile ($110.77)
This pillow is the best one for neck pain and is designed to provide maximum comfort and relief to the user. Though it is expensive, the amazing quality and ergonomic design make it an ideal choice for people with headaches and neck pains.
- The viscoelastic memory cells keep the pillow ventilated. The improved breathability keeps the head from heating up, and thus maintains a good night’s sleep.
- The ergonomic shape is ideal for the relaxation of neck and shoulder muscles. It supports the curvature of the user’s neck and head and provides neutral alignment for a comfortable sleep.
- It has a contoured shape that allows the head and neck muscles to adjust in a convenient way. It is designed to fit the body shape and sleeping position.
- It is ideal for people who sleep on back or sides.
- The cover is very soft, removable, and machine washable.
- There are multiple sizes of this pillow available, and you can select one according to the distance between your shoulder and neck.
It supports head and neck by improving the natural posture. The filling is very breathable and keeps the head and body fresh. It is ideal for back and side sleepers. It maintains shape according to the body. It is allergen- and dust mites-resistant. The cover is removable and machine washable.
It has a strong pungent odor. It is thick and heavy. The head feels too high when placed on it. It is expensive.
Choosing a memory pillow could be a challenging task as there are many options available on the market. We have reviewed three of the best memory foam pillows with different price ranges so that it gets easier for you to pick one according to your budget. These memory foam pillow reviews will give you an idea of the essential features of these pillows, and you can decide according to your requirements. Based on your criteria such as sleeping style, budget, usage, height, and shape of the pillow, we hope that this buying guide helps you.
Along a similar line of thought, please check out the following reviews: